Review - The Goddess Test by Aimee Carter

Title: The Goddess Test
Author: Aimee Carter
Publish Date: April 19, 2011
Publisher: Harlequin
Fiction, Juvenile, Action & Adventure
Book 1 in Goddess Test Series
ISBN: 9780373210268

GoodReads Link
Barnes and Noble Link
Amazon Link


Let me be completely honest, I was sure this book would be hokey and far fetched and maybe even a bit stupid. How harsh, right? I guess I have felt a bit tired of the same old fantasy books that just keep replaying or rereading themselves over and over again.

Well, this wasn't one of those. It hooked me in less than 60 pages. I was flipping pages so fast I had to slow myself down or I might miss something.

Oh good books are so wonderful!

This is book is based off Persephone, Queen of the Underworld (Greek Goddess) who spent half her year above the world and the other half below after being stolen from Hades.

Kate Winter (seriously, could she have a more fabulous name?) has had a tough life. Her mother is dying and she has moved to her mother's place of growing up. A town where everyone already pities her for her loss, even though it hasn't happened. Kate, of course, catches the fancy of the football star whose girlfriend is psycho. Sound like real life??? Well, then the crazy girlfriend pulls a stunt that puts Kate in a position of what to do - let someone die or save them by promising anything. And of course, anything means ANYTHING.

Would you save someone who intended to harm you even if it meant consequences for you?

What would you promise to save your mother's life?
And maybe knowing I had saved her would help me hurt a little less, too. He drummed his fingers against the armrest of the sofa, his eyes on me once again. "Kate, I do not invite just anyone into my home. Do you understand why I offered this to you?" Because he was crazy? I shook my head.
"Because even though she had abandoned you, instead of feeling spiteful or allowing her to die, you did everything in your power - including face one of your greatest fears - save her."
I find books that make me ask and think about choices in life, what would I do, are simply fantastic as I am definitely one of those people who love to analyze life and this book was no exception to that. The closeness of good and evil gave me chills and I kept waiting for the other shoe to drop because when dealing with the devil, he never has to keep his promises, does he? And he can change his meaning and underlying tones in the blink of an eye.
"These tests will most likely come when you least expect them. I am not in charge of administering them, nor am I the final judge."
"I am not really good at pop quizzes," I said.
He chuckled and it washed over me, helping to dissolve some of my anxiety, "These are not the sort of tests a teacher would grade you on. They test who you are, not what you have stored in your brain. It is possible you will recognize them as they are happening, and it is possible you will not. But just be yourself. That is all anyone can ask of you."
I refuse to ruin any of this book with spoilers. I really loved it. Once I figured out what was happening and where this book could take me, I sighed with pleasure and laid back to enjoy the ride.

Definitely a MUST READ for younger teen girls in need of coaching, positive energy or just a different frame of mind - I plan to get one of these for my 14 year old niece. It had so much real life to it and yet, it was a serious play on fantasy. I mean how many times a day do we wonder who other people are and what their intentions may be; not to mention who we are and what we desire from life? It made relating to the book that much easier. I simply love that this book kept coming back to the same thoughts - Just be who you are and As long as you try your hardest, the outcome doesn't matter.

Summary:

EVERY GIRL who has taken the test has DIED.

Now it's KATE'S TURN.

It’s always been just Kate and her mom—and her mother is dying. Her last wish? To move back to her childhood home. So Kate’s going to start at a new school with no friends, no other family and the fear her mother won’t live past the fall.

Then she meets Henry. Dark. Tortured. And mesmerizing. He claims to be Hades, god of the Underworld—and if she accepts his bargain, he’ll keep her mother alive while Kate tries to pass seven tests.

Kate is sure he’s crazy—until she sees him bring a girl back from the dead. Now saving her mother seems crazily possible. If she succeeds, she’ll become Henry’s future bride, and a goddess.

If she fails...

Excerpt from The Goddess Test:

“The prize is immortality,” Henry said. “It’s not something we give out lightly, and we need to make sure it is something you can handle.”

I felt a cold block of ice form in the pit of my stomach. So my choices now were to live forever or die trying. Somehow it didn’t seem fair.

“You will do well,” Henry said. “I can feel it. And afterward, you will help me do something that no one else is capable of doing. You will have power beyond imagining, and you will never fear death again. You will never grow old and you will always be beautiful. You will have eternal life to spend as you wish.” But would I have my mother?

Here are a few other blogs who posted a review of this book as well -

Reading Angel

The Story Siren

Candace's Book Blog


2 comments:

jayayceeblog said...

Sounds fascinating ... good vs. evil and the choices we make that prove our character. I'd definitely like to read this one. Great review!

kay - Infinite Shelf said...

Oh, this sounds even better than I imagined it to be. I'll admit I didn't have high expectations either, but now it's going to be added to my TBR pile for sure.