Review - A Love that Multiplies by Michelle & JimBob Duggar

Title: A Love that Multiplies
Author: Michelle & JimBob Duggar
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Publish Date: June 7, 2011
Hardcover, 288 pages

GoodReads
Barnes and Noble
Amazon

Whether you agree with their religion or not I believe that everyone can get quite a few good things out of this book. They have the most wonderful ideas for family and raising children - visiting nursing homes to be charitable and at the same time the kids learn to talk to adults, be kind and not be shy; having bible time teaches speaking ability, reading and conversation also encouraging family time; being kind to all who you come in contact no matter the person's feelings toward you; not having tv time instead conversing and learning and so many others. Inspiring their kids to try so many different jobs and opportunities and not settle for the job that they may like and may get them the big bucks one day. For someone who would love to have a big family and even homeschool, this had such inspiration.

I just loved reading this book. It is a feel good book of incredible stories. I was amazed at the trials and tribulations this family was put through when their twentieth child came in to the world three months preemie. And warmed by the generosity strangers showed them. Shocked and loved the way they dealt with negativity and just plain meanness at the way they choose to live their lives. I enjoyed reading about the children and the grandparents and their friends. I internalized so much regarding dealing with anger, spreading joy and happiness. The lessons were endless.

It was a bit awkward reading the I, and then in parenthesis, the name of who was speaking (Michelle or JimBob) and there were a lot of bible verses and sermon preaching as well. Take caution if you are not comfortable with this type of thing. There were moments I felt it was evangelistic, but most of the time I was not bothered, but felt nourished by the religion. As Michelle says it best, it is who they are and you cannot separate that.

I look forward to reading their first book, The Duggars: 20 and Counting.

2 comments:

Liz Mays said...

I'm not sure I could do this one. Anything that's preachy is a turn-off. I prefer a more subtle message.

Alison Can Read said...

I've never watched their show but I find them interesting. I'm guessing the preachiness of the book would irritate me, but still sounds interesting. I do like that they seem less affected by fame than most reality stars.