Review - Fracture by Megan Miranda

Title: Fracture
Author: Megan Miranda
Publisher: Walker Childrens
Publish Date: Jan 17, 2012
Hardcover, 262 pages

GoodReads
Barnes and Noble
Amazon

I read this book initially because I read quite a few reviews that kept saying how good this was and of course, I didn't want to miss it. Sadly many times there are good reviews, I'm left thinking, "What am I missing?" But this one did not disappoint.

Delaney was a fabulous character. After being pulled from a frozen pond, pronounced dead they tell her she'll be fine. She is having a few questionable things happen that lead her to believe she may not be fine.

Troy made me suspicious from the get-go. I didn't necessarily not like him, but I didn't like him either. I felt like he was too shadey. They kept him in the forefront, but not enough to give him a clean bill. Kind of like when I am watching a mystery on tv, it's usually someone who is in the scenes, but in the background. But I won't tell you if he is good or bad.

Delaney has trouble seeing past her need to relate to someone and that is why she starts to hang out with Troy. I really enjoyed the twist of trying to figure out if Delaney was causing these catastrophic happenings or if she is just predicting them. The fun of trying to figure out if dying has caused her to connect with the dead.

This book was mysterious, thrilling and thought-provoking, but not freaky weird. I like that.

Summary -
Eleven minutes passed before Delaney Maxwell was pulled from the icy waters of a Maine lake by her best friend Decker Phillips. By then her heart had stopped beating. Her brain had stopped working. She was dead. And yet she somehow defied medical precedent to come back seemingly fine. Everyone wants Delaney to be all right, but she knows she's far from normal. Pulled by strange sensations she can't control or explain, Delaney finds herself drawn to the dying. Is her altered brain now predicting death, or causing it?

Then Delaney meets Troy Varga, who recently emerged from a coma with similar abilities. At first she's reassured to find someone who understands the strangeness of her new existence, but Delaney soon discovers that Troy's motives aren't quite what she thought. Is their gift a miracle, a freak of nature-or something much more frightening?

For fans of best-sellers like Before I Fall and If I Stay, this is a fascinating and heart-rending story about love and friendship and the fine line between life and death.

No comments: