Review - Origin by Jessica Khoury


Title: Origin

Author: Jessica Khoury
Publisher: Razorbill
Publish Date: Sept 4, 2012

GoodReads
Barnes and Noble
Amazon

When I first started reading this book, the movie Species popped in my head. I kept comparing the two simply because it was a woman/girl that was specially made, kept in a glass box, being watched and tested, then she gets out. In reality, the story lines are very different.

I really liked this book. It was so different than anything I have read it awhile. I love Pia, the main character. She was sweet and innocent and I especially loved that she was kind and caring. She wants the ultimate goal, to get to a point in her testing to be proven worthy to know the secret to herself and building others just like her. Even though she is surrounded by people, her family and workers, she is lonely because no one really knows who she is and what she needs. Then she notices a hole in the fence surrounding her home and curiosity gets the best of her. Out in the real world, she meets a local tribal boy and her world expands exponentially.

This writing was so spectacular. I cannot wait to see where this goes. I really hope there is a followup to this book. I cannot divulge the ending because that is the worst, but I hope for more.

Summary -
Pia has grown up in a secret laboratory hidden deep in the Amazon rain forest. She was raised by a team of scientists who have created her to be the start of a new immortal race. But on the night of her seventeenth birthday, Pia discovers a hole in the electric fence that surrounds her sterile home--and sneaks outside the compound for the first time in her life.

Free in the jungle, Pia meets Eio, a boy from a nearby village. Together, they embark on a race against time to discover the truth about Pia's origin--a truth with deadly consequences that will change their lives forever.

Origin is a beautifully told, shocking new way to look at an age-old desire: to live forever, no matter the cost.

1 comment:

AiringMyLaundry said...

Interesting. I'm at the library every week so I might have to look this up.