Review - Pretties by Scott Westerfeld

Title: Pretties (Uglies #2)
Author: Scott Westerfeld
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Publish Date: Nov 1, 2005
Paperback, 370 pages

GoodReads
Barnes and Noble
Amazon

Couple of things that took me by surprise. The second book, this one I am reviewing, was published back in 2005. That was over 6 years ago. Crazy that I am just now really reading the entire series. It is nice that I don't have to wait for the following book to come out, but odd that I haven't been really seeing the news on these til now. Second, there are at least three different covers that I have seen. I prefer the ones to the left. The designs are more attuned to how I feel when I read the books. I also do not care for books with real people on the front. I like to imagine the people on my own. Oh and these would make an incredible movie!!! (hint)

I read the first one months ago, so it did take me a bit to remember what I was reading and what had happened. You can read my review of Uglies #1 here!

I would highly recommend these books be read in the order they are in the series. I get this questions all the time at work and have a hard time because WHO wants to read a series out of order?? Really why would anyone do this? I admit that Westerfeld does a great job keeping the reader informed and up to speed, but that also takes away from reading the books and finding out what happens because they tell you in the next book.

Tally has survived being ugly, met the boy of her dreams (uhm, her ugly dreams) and he has taught her how to survive in the wilderness. Due to circumstances I refuse to divulge here, she winds up pretty. They give her the surgery to become pretty which she avoided in book one and she is now living in the city as a pretty. She is careless, vapid and constantly partying. She meets her old friend, Shay, but they aren't as close as could be because of Tally's slight betrayal in book one. She does meet a new boy, a pretty boy who she seems drawn to, but he has other plans and they involve Tally. As she is getting comfortable in Pretty Town she has a visit by an old friend. One she can't quite remember, but one that brings trouble and a whole whirl-wind of excitement. As her memory comes back, her level of trouble increases. She will soon learn the value of mind over body.

I am a huge fan of these books, not only as a teen at heart, but because they are clean and youthful. A teen, a tween, a younger maybe slightly sheltered younger person would truly love these books. They have excitement, energy and most importantly a young woman who is very inspiring. They teach you how to think for yourself and going with the flow still requires thinking. They teach how to be a leader amongst a crowd. And so many other wonderful life lessons.

Summary -
Gorgeous. Popular. Perfect. Perfectly wrong.

Tally has finally become pretty. Now her looks are beyond perfect, her clothes are awesome, her boyfriend is totally hot, and she's completely popular. It's everything she's ever wanted.

But beneath all the fun -- the nonstop parties, the high-tech luxury, the total freedom -- is a nagging sense that something's wrong. Something important. Then a message from Tally's ugly past arrives. Reading it, Tally remembers what's wrong with pretty life, and the fun stops cold.

Now she has to choose between fighting to forget what she knows and fighting for her life -- because the authorities don't intend to let anyone with this information survive.



No comments: