Bookclub - Girl who Played with Fire


This past month our bookclub has been reading The Girl who Played with Fire by Stieg Larsson.

I have to say, when I started reading the first book - The girl with the Dragon Tattoo, I only made it through the first couple of chapters and then put the book down. It just didn't interest me. I figured I wouldn't be reading the book. But after my mom read the first one and was half way through the second (which is the one we read) I was intrigued that she liked them so much. I then sighed and decided to plug through the book. I had one week to finish it before our book club met.

After about a third of the way through it, I couldn't put it down.

There is a lot of mathematical equations in this book many of which I felt were unnecessary and just gobs of words, but I also ascertained that it was telling how the main character, Salander was able to focus and control life.

It was very intriguing how they told the story from a couple of different view points - not just Salander, but the journalist, Blomkvist, the friend Wu and other police officers. It made it a bit confusing at times, but I think helped it portray all the deep feelings within this book.

The conversation of this book led to others about the affects of gender on culture; the impact we allow people in power positions to have; the portrayal of lives in the media and how far is too far; allowing someone to be proven guilty before a trial has started. The list of possibilities this book opened up was lengthy.

I really enjoyed reading this book and discussing it.

I give the book 4 stars because it took a bit to get me interested in it.

No comments: